Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Bucket List (also posted on V-formation blog) by Michele Ashman Bell



I'm not sure if someone already posted about this or not, but if i can't remember, then hopefully you can't either! Anyway . . . my family and I recently watched the movie, "The Bucket List." It got me thinking about living life to its fullest and leaving this earth without regrets. Not long after I watched this movie Larry Miller passed away. I felt sadness at his passing, for the loss of a man who has shaped this community. He was much too young to leave this earth. I couldn't help think that as much money as he had, when it came to his health it didn't help him. Do you take your health for granted? I know I do. I exercise regularly, but I could do better. Do you eat healthy? I try, but I have a mad sweet tooth and give in to it much too often. Do you get enough sleep? I'm lucky if I get six hours. If you're like me, it's probably time to reassess how well we take care of ourselves and make changes.
Back to the Bucket List. I loved the premise behind this story. Basically two men meet in the hospital, both are battling cancer. They make up a list of things they want to do before they die, then, they go and do them.
What would be on your bucket list?
I read a quote by one of the general authorities (I'm too lazy to research it, but I'm thinking it was President Benson) that was geared to the youth and basically said, "decide now the things you want to make sure happen in your life, don't leave important things up to chance." As a youth, most lists would include an education, mission, marriage and having a family. Since I'm passed that stage of life, and some of you are too, I think we should all write down the things we don't want to leave up to chance. I think we should make up a Bucket List. I also think it should be a list that you don't hold back your greatest wishes and dreams. Shoot for the stars. The sky's the limit. You get the idea.
What's on my list??? Gee, thanks for asking:-)
1) I want to travel through Europe with my family. They all want to go and I want to go back. I want to go to Paris this time, I want to go back to Salzburg and Neuschwanstein, and I want to go to Great Britain too. I want to take my time and really soak in the culture.
2) I want to see one of my books, or a screenplay I write, get made into a movie. I know what you're thinking, but I am shooting for the stars after all.
3) I want to meet Doris Day. She lives in Carmel, California. I was in Monterrey and didn't have time to track her down. Her movies have brought me great joy. She's a wonderful person. I would love to meet her.
4) I want to buy a cul-de-sac and have all my children live in houses around me. (I know, that is seriously so mental, but I do think about it) I want my sisters and their families there too.
5) Speaking of my sisters, I want to take them to New York. We might actually go this summer when I pick up my daughter from her summer intensive.
6) Speaking of my daughter, I want to watch dance a professional ballet (this involves her having the same dream so it takes some coordinating of Bucket/Wish lists. I've checked, this is on her list too.)
7) I want to go on a mission with my sweetheart of a husband. Somewhere warm. I'll die if it's cold. I already did that. Warm is better.
8) I want to visit all the temples in the world. (wipe that smile off your face! Growing up there were only like 15 temples and it was actually possible) Okay, I'd make a top ten list and start with that.
9) I want to be on "Dancing with the Stars." I wish they would make a show called, "Dancing with the Regular People," cuz then I'd have a chance.
10) I want to sit inside the temple with all my children and their spouses. That would totally be heaven on earth.
11) I want to sleep 8 hours.
What's on your Bucket List????

1 comment:

Terry said...

#10... was on my list and it finally happened! It was the most glorious day ever. I hope yours will be just as wonderful! Love you!